I make money on some of the products I mention on TOTCN through affiliate relationships. I never endorse a product or service unless I fully believe it will be of value to my readers.
If you’re looking for a work-from-home job, you may find that many of them involve being on the telephone. Many of the jobs that allow you to work from home involve customer service, technical support, or telephone sales and include a “no background noise” policy. However, this requirement may not work for everyone. Especially if you have small children, barking dogs, or if you live in a noisy neighborhood.
Not only that, but some people just don’t have the energy to take back-to-back calls all day.
Can I Work From Home Without a Phone?
Actually, yes, you can! Not all work-from-home jobs require being on the phone all day, and there are a few other remote opportunities that are non-phone.
It’s important to remember that just because these jobs don’t require talking to customers all day doesn’t mean you’ll never have to make a phone call or two every now and then. It means that your main responsibilities won’t include constant phone calls.
No matter what type of work you do, you’ll always need to speak with your boss, a coworker, or a client every once in a while.
Make an Extra $300+ Per Month for Free:
Earnably: Get paid to watch videos, complete surveys, and more. Earn gift cards or PayPal cash.
EarnHoney: Get paid to watch videos, complete surveys, and more. Earn gift cards or PayPal cash.
GrabPoints: Get paid to watch videos, complete surveys, download apps, and more. Earn gift cards or PayPal cash.
Ibotta: Get paid to shop.
InboxDollars: Get paid to watch videos, complete surveys, shop and more.
InstaGC: Get paid to watch videos, complete surveys, and more.
Swagbucks: Earn gift cards, or PayPal cash to watch videos, complete surveys, shop and more.
What Jobs Don’t Require Phones?
The following work-from-home jobs don’t require being on the telephone all day with customers.
1) Academic Test Scoring
If you are looking for a work-at-home job that doesn’t require being on the telephone, becoming a test scorer may be a great option.
These companies recruit online scorers to work from home grading students’ tests. Some of the tests are multiple-choice type tests, and some tests are essay form.
Most of these positions will require a bachelor’s degree or higher to be considered.
- ACT hires Readers to grade written essays. They require a bachelor’s degree or higher, and you must be a United States citizen. Readers can choose to work when they want.
- Cognia hires seasonal Scorers to work from home reading, evaluating, and scoring student work. They require a bachelor’s degree, and at least two completed college courses on the subject you wish to score.
- Educational Testing Service is an organization that provides educational testing for several programs and hires remote online scoring professionals. They offer virtual training and certifications. However, each educational program has different requirements. Most require a bachelor’s or master’s degree, and some also require a second language.
- Vericant hires remote Raters to assess and score spoken English videos of international students applying to schools in North America. Work is completed September through March and is usually 5 to 15 hours per week. They require a bachelor’s degree and previous experience teaching ESL.
- Write Score hires remote Scorers to read and score student test responses. They require at least a two-year degree, and you must pass an exam.
2) Accounting and Bookkeeping
Remote accounting and bookkeeping jobs have been trending in the past several years. This type of work can easily be done from home and can provide a steady stream of income, especially if you freelance.
- 1-800Accountant offers bookkeeping and accounting services to small business owners. They hire people for remote positions such as Tax Experts, Bookkeepers, and Accountants. Most of these roles require an educational background in accounting and a certain amount of experience.
- AccountingDepartment.com hires United States-based accounting professionals to work at home in various accounting roles. These are employee positions, and benefits are available. The amount of experience required will vary depending on the exact position.
- Acuity provides outsourced accounting services to businesses and has been in business since 2013. The company hires accounting professionals for functions like accounts payable, invoicing, collections, account reconciliations, and more.
- SmartBooks is a fast-growing company that offers CFO, tax, payroll, and accounting services to small businesses. This company hires remote accounting and bookkeeping professionals. These roles are employee positions, and the company offers benefits.
- Supporting Strategies is an established company that helps businesses with bookkeeping and accounting needs. Most of their employees are part-time, but sometimes they have a few full-time positions available. Most of their jobs require a bachelor’s degree and previous experience.
Video creators can now make their videos accessible to deaf viewers by adding subtitles to them. This is where captioning comes in. Captioning is the task of displaying text on a screen so deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals can view it.
These positions are great for those with fast and accurate typing skills and attention to detail.
- AI Media was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in Australia. The company specializes in captioning, translation, and transcription services and hires remote freelance captioners. Captioners can choose their own hours and work when it’s convenient for them.
- CaptioningStar was founded in 2006 and is based in New York. This company hires freelance captioners to work from home.
- CaptionMax hires independent contractors to work from home doing captioning work.
- Rev hires freelance captions with no previous experience living in any state except California. They require you to pass a skills test to be considered.
- VITAC is the North American market leader for closed captioning services and hires work-at-home captioners experienced in real-time captioning. These services are available in various languages.
4) Chat and Email Support
Do you like helping people but don’t like talking on the phone? If so, you can provide customer service or technical support through live chat and email. You’ll need to have excellent typing or keyboarding skills, along with excellent grammar and spelling.
- Alorica is a call center that sometimes hires remote agents for chat customer service roles.
- Dyson is a British technology company founded in 1991. It manufactures household appliances such as vacuum cleaners, air purifiers, hand dryers, bladeless fans, heaters, hairdryers, and lights. The company regularly hires Online Advisors for live chat support customer service.
- KellyConnect hires chat agents to work from home, helping customers with technical issues they’re having with their cell phones.
- Sutherland Global Services is a call center founded in 1986 and based in New York. They regularly hire agents to work from home in chat support roles.
- The Chat Shop periodically hires chat agents to work from home in several states. They require you to have a typing speed of 80 WPM.
Crowdsourcing jobs have become really popular lately.
Businesses used to have to hire experts and professionals to complete projects such as designing websites or building products. Nowadays, companies can create a project and allow thousands of people to participate in it by way of micro-jobs. Each person works on a different task.
The micro-jobs on these websites include proofreading, taking surveys, typing, data entry tasks, and more.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk allows micro workers to sign up for free and choose hundreds of micro-jobs. Jobs include image processing, data verification, gathering information, and data processing. If you already have an Amazon account as a shopper, there is no need to open another account. You can use your current account.
- Clickworker has over 2.8 million clickworkers across 136 countries. Some of their micro jobs include mystery shopping, research, surveys, app testing, and photo capturing. They also have a mobile app where you can work from your smartphone.
- RapidWorkers is a crowdsourcing service with more than 100,000 workers. Some of their tasks include posting on social media, posting reviews, and submitting websites to search engines.
6) ESL Teacher
If you have a four-year degree in any field, you can teach English to children in other countries. Online ESL jobs typically pay between $14 and $25 per hour and are very flexible. Even though these aren’t phone jobs, you will need to be on a webcam while you’re teaching.
To be considered for these ESL positions, you will need a TEFL certification that you can easily obtain online by going here.
- 51Talk offers one-on-one and group classes with flexible schedules, and they pay $22 per hour to teachers who have at least a bachelor’s degree and native English skills.
- Magic Ears is an online ESL platform with great opportunities for teachers. To teach with Magic Ears, you must have a bachelor’s degree and a TEFL certification. You earn $8 to $11 for each 30-minute class you teach.
- QKids Qkids hires online ESL teachers to teach English to young children in China. They hire online teachers who have a bachelor’s degree and are citizens of the United States or Canada and have a TEFL certificate.
7) Freelance Photography
Freelance photography is a form of self-employment in which photographers work for themselves, taking on clients for photoshoots or creating and selling their own photography.
As a freelance photographer, you get to choose what types of work you take on and can turn down assignments that don’t align with your style or interests.
- Airbnb regularly hires remote freelance photographers to photograph rental properties.
- Dotdash is a digital media company that publishes content about different topics. It operates health, home, food, finance, tech, beauty, lifestyle, travel, and education brands. The company regularly has freelance photography roles available.
8) Freelance Writing
There are a lot of places that hire freelance writers to work from home. Blogs, magazines, professional publications, and content mills are just a few of the many places that will hire writers. Writers can write anything from blog posts to resumes. And you don’t need to be a professional writer with a degree.
- Copify is a place where thousands of writers can find online freelance writing jobs.
- Crowd Content is a platform for freelance writers to find hundreds of writing gigs.
- HireWriters.com is an online marketplace for freelance writers. They provide writers with work about any topic, which they deliver within the deadline.
- HotGhostWriter was founded in 2018 and offers ghostwriting services to book authors. They always have openings for remote freelance writers.
9) Graphic Design
Graphic design is the art of creating visual content to communicate messages.
Although graphic design is a visual art, its role is to interpret and present an already present message. Graphic designers decode or translate a message into a visual form that the audience can then understand. A customer’s verbal or written request becomes a graphic design project.
These positions require a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related discipline.
- 99designs is a platform for freelancing graphic designers. You can sign up and find clients needing work done.
- DesignCrowd is another freelancing platform for graphic designers to find gigs.
- Superside is a subscription design service that provides design at scale for enterprises. They regularly have openings for remote graphic designers.
10) Medical Billing and Coding
Medical billing and coding are two interrelated jobs that make it possible for healthcare providers to be paid by insurance providers.
To become a medical biller or coder, you’ll need to complete an associate degree program in medical billing and coding. After you’ve completed your program, you’ll need to take exams to become certified. The certification process involves passing several different exams.
- Aviacode offers billing and coding services to healthcare facilities. They hire remote medical billing and coding professionals for both full-time and part-time positions.
- CPSI hires experienced remote medical billers and medical coders.
- GeBBS Healthcare Solutions offers medical coding and billing services to healthcare providers. They are always looking for experienced remote medical billers and coders.
11) Medical Scribe
A medical scribe is a person who collects and records information about a patient’s visit. The role of a scribe is to record notes from a doctor or healthcare provider during a consultation, procedure, or examination. The medical scribe ensures that everything that happens during a visit is accurately recorded.
These positions require special training and certification.
- AQuity Solutions has been in business since February 1, 2019, and is a dedicated outsourced clinical documentation labor service. They hire experienced remote medical scribes.
- ProScribe offers professional medical scribe services across the United States. They require a high school diploma and experience with medical record software, word processing, and database software.
- SoftScript offers medical scribe, transcription, and speech recognition services to healthcare providers. They hire experienced remote scribes. However, they don’t advertise their positions. If you are an experienced scribe, you’ll need to fill out the application and wait to hear from them.
12) Online Tutoring
You can make money from home with online tutoring. Scheduling is flexible, and you can work when it’s convenient for you. The amount of education needed will depend on the subject matter. A high school diploma is sufficient for basic subjects, but more complex topics like science and history require a college degree.
- Brainfuse offers both in-person and online tutoring to students from fourth grade up through college. If you want to become a tutor for this company, you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher, live in the US, have prior teaching experience, and submit to a background check.
- Cambly hires independent contractors to work as remote English tutors. You don’t need previous experience, but you must be fluent in English. There is no minimum hourly commitment, and you’re free to choose your own hours.
- Preply is a language-learning app and e-learning platform with offices worldwide, over 300 employees, and more than 140,000 independent tutors. You can register to tutor for free, and no previous experience is required.
- Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of on-site and online tutoring for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. Their online tutors must be trained and experienced professionals with relevant degrees and teaching credentials.
13) Personal Stylist
Do you have a sense of style and love to shop? Do you love home decor and are great at decorating? If so, you are ideally suited for an online personal styling role. As a personal stylist, you will select clothing items and accessories based on the client’s preferences. Or, you’ll design and decorate rooms for customers.
- Havenly was founded in 2013 and offers home interior and decorating services. They regularly hire remote Home Stylists to design and decorate rooms for customers via its online platform.
- Modsy is similar to Havenly. The company is based in San Francisco and hires Online Interior Designers to work from home. They have full-time and part-time roles.
- Stitch Fix was founded in 2011 and offers subscription-based personal styling services. They hire remote stylists for part-time roles throughout the United States and the United Kingdom.
- ThredUp has been in business since 2009. The company is an online consignment shop that offers top-of-line brands. They hire remote online stylists throughout the United States.
A proofreader’s job is to check for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors for writers. They also look at the formatting to make sure it is all there and looks right – spotting things like a sentence that prints twice or an accidental omission, a headline that doesn’t appear as bold, or the date missing from a document.
- Proofreading Services is headquartered in San Francisco and was founded in 2011 by Luke Palder, a graduate of Yale University. The company hires remote proofreaders for full-time and part-time roles.
- ProofreadingPal hires remote proofreaders with a graduate degree and previous experience.
15) Software Developer
A Software Developer is in charge of using their knowledge of programming languages to design software programs. This profession requires much more than just sitting in front of a computer and writing code. They sometimes have to meet with or speak to clients to understand their needs, code and test the software to ensure it functions well, and update programs to make them more secure, efficient, or user-friendly.
Software developers typically have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or software engineering.
- Clevertech is an application and software development company. They regularly have openings for remote software developers and engineers.
- GitHub is a company that hosts software development and version control using Git. They always have a host of remote developer and engineering jobs available.
- Toptal is a global, remote company that connects businesses with freelance software engineers, designers, finance experts, product managers, and project managers.
16) Social Media Specialist
A social media specialist is responsible for building an audience and keeping them engaged with a brand on social media. A specialist may also monitor site metrics like engagement and create and post new, engaging content to increase these metrics.
- $99 Social hires remote independent contractors to write engaging social media content for their clients. No prior experience is required.
- ModSquad offers digital engagement services to brands and businesses. They hire independent contractors for content moderation and social media management.
- The Social Element hires remote specialists and moderators. They require working knowledge of all social media platforms.
Transcription is where spoken words are converted to text. For example, if someone is talking in a video or audio, you can transcribe what they say by typing it into text. Transcription is necessary for many purposes, including research, writing, and education.
Just so you are aware, these are beginner transcription jobs, and you probably won’t make much money. However, it’s a great way to gain much-needed experience.
- Daily Transcription is based in Los Angeles, California. They hire remote transcribers with no previous experience who can meet client deadlines.
- GoTranscript is a transcription company based in the United Kingdom. They don’t require any prior transcription experience, but you’ll need to pass a test to be considered.
- Quicktate is another company that doesn’t require previous transcription experience.
- Scribie There is no special training required. You just need to be good at speaking and writing in English and have excellent communication skills.
A translator’s job it to take written documents in one language and translate them into another. Documents that are translated are typically business documents, books, medical records, or legal documents.
In order to become a remote translator, you need to know at least two languages and have a high school diploma.
- Affordable Translations hires freelance translators who have a federal tax ID number.
- Cactus Global hires freelance translators who have one or more years’ of prior translation experience.
- Gengo doesn’t require their freelance translators to have experience, but they require a skills test.
19) Virtual Assistant
Virtual assistants help business owners with clerical or administrative tasks. They can perform tasks such as live chat support, sending social media messages, and booking travel. Virtual assistants can also offer research on potential markets and assist with website maintenance. The best part is there’s no shortage of jobs.
- BELAY hires remote virtual assistants and executive assistants who have a bachelor’s degree and previous experience.
- Milrich Virtual Professionals is based in Virginia and has been in business since 2009. They hire remote VAs based in the United States and can work four-hour blocks between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.
- VASumo is based in California, and it hires US and Canadian remote virtual assistants. They require at least three years of previous experience as a VA.
Final Thoughts on Non-Phone Work From Home Jobs
As you can see, there are several ways to work from home without having to be on the telephone all day. And obviously, some pay better than others depending on the amount of education and experience you have.
If you are looking for more companies in which to find non-phone remote jobs, you can always look to freelancing platforms where you can offer your things such as chat support, data entry, or other non-phone-related services to business owners.
You can go here to see a list of companies where you can put your freelancing skills to work.